Saturday, August 1, 2015

welcome (to myself)

hello nobody and myself,

i've always wanted to be the kind of person that could consistently "run" a blog in a way that was interesting, non repetitive and non irritating.

i've tried many times to get one started, but have always struggled with words. i work better with images, and always found myself sticking to image centric blogs with limited, simple words. i've always been inspired and a little envious of my favourite bloggers (water and wool (sasha) and ashley helvey) and the effortless way that they share little bits of their lives, without giving too much away. i'm not sure what it is about this generation that makes people want to share everything in their lives. i certainly haven't gotten used to it. maybe it's because i feel a little inadequate or like the things i have in my life aren't nice enough or worth sharing. but since moving away from home and having my own apartment and my own things, i do have a sharing urge.

anywho, there are a few things that i really care about in life, one of them being: FOOD. i can't get enough of food. i'm obsessed with food. i get "protective" over food as my boyfriend says. even if i come home late from work tired and aching, i would rather stand in my kitchen for an hour over a hot stove cooking instead of ordering takeout or picking up something ready from sobeys. it has to have started with how i grew up and how my mother approached cooking in my family. i've always helped her in the kitchen and always enjoyed our time together in the kitchen. i truly truly love being in the kitchen and get so much joy and pleasure from sharing the food i make with those i love. a part of me hates saying that because i don't want to be a 50's housewife stuck at home, a slave for her family and the kitchen, but i can't help myself.

i hope when i have kids i can teach them (both girls and boys) to cook for themselves, and at least show them the basics. i don't know why food is so important to me, but it is. it's ingrained in me, it's in my blood. i'm really nervous about what i'm going to do when school starts and i won't have as much time to prepare meals. i hope that i can dedicate at least one or two days a week to cooking meals for the rest of the week. i really don't want to get stuck eating out. anyway, i hope a part of this blog can be a space for me to share my favourite recipes and archive them for my own benefit as well.

i'd also like this to be a space where i can share what i will be doing/learning at school. i will be starting a masters program in photographic preservation this fall and i'm really looking forward to it.

that's about it for now,

c

No comments:

Post a Comment